The School Improvement Council (SIC) has exciting news to share. During the 2020-2021 school year, the SIC developed the WINGS program as part of the PTA. WINGS will be making its debut at Monarch this spring and the full program will begin in the fall for the 2021-2022 school year.
As we prepare for the launch of WINGS, we have partnered with Able SC.
Able SC is a non-profit agency that has federal grant funding to help provide education to school staff. Able SC is also a resource for strategic planning for schools and on how to create inclusive classrooms and schools.
The mission statement and goals of the WINGS program are included below.
What is the Mission Statement of WINGS?
The WINGS program at Monarch is a peer buddy program that exists to develop relationships and educational opportunities between students with disabilities and students without disabilities through leadership development, education, inclusion, and community partnerships.
What are the goals of WINGS?
1. Create an educational partnership between students with disabilities and students without disabilities
2. Create a Leadership Development Program for 4th and 5th grade students
3. Promote school and community-wide inclusion and advocacy
4. Transform the way we think, view, and include one another in school and in our communities
5. Create a school culture in which all students are equal, visible, and participating members
What is the Meaning of WINGS?
1. Monarch Elementary is represented by the monarch butterfly
2. When we think about a butterfly, most of us are reminded of the transformation that takes place for the butterfly to develop
3. Only with its wings can a butterfly begin to fly and ultimately survive
4. Our goal for the WINGS program is to help each and every student at Monarch develop “WINGS” to fly and ultimately soar